Author Notes: This is an unbelieveable easy and delicious recipe. Make it in bulk and freeze portions. It happens to be from a paleo diet inspiration, but it is awesome with rice, in tortillas, etc. - jwolfsthal
Serves a lot
- 20 chicken thighs (bone in, skin on)
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons oilve oil
- 1-2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 hot peppers (to taste, optional)
- 1 jar Salsa Verde
- 1 cup water, or enough to just cover chicken
- add olive oil and brown chicken thighs, skin side down in batches - transfer to plate until all are done. save drippings.
- leave 2 tbsp chicken fat in dutch oven (or pot if transferring to crock pot) and add onions and garlic, sautee until soft.
- return chicken and drippings to dutch oven or transfer everything to crock pot.
- add insalsa verde and enough water to cover. for dutch oven cover and place in 275 degree oven for 3-4 hours. For crock pot, set on low and cook for hours until meat is falling off the bones.
- remove chicken and let cool. remove and discard bones and skin. Shred chicken and return to sauce. Cook down to desired consistency and serve.
- serving options include: 1) over rice 2) in tortillas 3) in lettuce wraps 4) as burrito filling 5) drained as empanada filling 6) as enchillada filling.