Author Notes: This is a homemade do-over of a Kind Apricot Bar. My friend Amy called it a bird bar because it looks like bird seed cakes that birds eat! It's so yummy and satisfying. - PirateKW
Serves 12-14 bars
- 1 cup Coconut chips or flakes
- 2 cups Almonds, rough chopped
- 1 cup Dried Apricots, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup Crispy Brown Rice Cereal
- 1 cup Brown Rice Syrup
- 1/2 cup Apricot Preserves
- pinch Fine Grain Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a baking pan with cooking spray. If you like thick bars, use an 8×8 inch pan; for thinner bars, use a 9×13 inch pan.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, toast the almonds and coconut for about 5-7 minutes , or until the coconut is golden. Give them a good turn with a spatula about half way through baking. Mix the toasted nuts, coconut, cereal and apricots in a large bowl and set aside.
- Combine the rice syrup, apricot preserves and pinch of salt in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until it comes to a boil, about 4 minutes. Let cool slightly and pour over the mixture in the bowl. Stir until it is evenly incorporated.
- Sread into the prepared pan with a spatula and refrigerate for about 20 minutes before cutting into bars. Wrap individually in wax or plastic wrap for easier handling and transport!
- If desired, and to make easier to handle, coat bars in any type of ground nut for less sticky fingers!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gluten-Free Baked Good