If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These brownies are inspired by the Salted Caramel Brownies in Baked Explorations. They are not salted and do not have any caramel. But the idea of putting something sweet between 2 layers of batter inspired me.
If you don't have a kitchen scale, you can use 1 to 1 1/4 cups of an all-purpose gluten free blend and 1 tablespoon of flax (unless your blend is Jules Nearly Normal Flour and has a binding agent already added). You will have to see just how your flour absorbs the in the mixture - you don't want too much flour.
There is a total weight of 5.25 ounces of flour, it is 60% grains and 40% starches. Flax is used in place of a gum (guar or xantham). —frannycakes
for the jam
- 1 quart strawberries, hulled & finely diced
- 1/4 cup strawberry liquor
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
for the brownie batter
- 11 ounces dark chocolate (60-70% cocoa), chopped
- 8 ounces unslated butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- .35 ounces ground flax
- 1.5 ounces sorghum flour
- .7 ounces brown rice flour
- .7 ounces white rice flour
- 1 ounce tapioca starch
- 1 ounce sweet white rice flour
- 1.5 cups sugar
- ,5 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 5 large eggs
- Make the jam: Combine strawberries, 1/2 cup sugar, water & strawberry liquor in a medium size sauce pan. Heat over meadium – high heat, stirring frequently until the jam starts to thicken, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9×13 pan with parchment paper, and then grease the parchment paper.
- On a low burner, melt together chocolate & butter. While chocolate is melting, whisk together flours, cocoa and salt.
- Once chocolate & butter have melted, turn off the burner but leave the pot in place. Stir in both the granulated sugar and the brown sugar.
- Remove pot from burner and stir in 3 eggs. DO NOT BEAT. Once eggs are combined, add in remaining eggs, stirring until just combined.
- Sprinkle flour over the bowl and stir in slowly. Make sure most lumps are out – but it is ok if there are still a few, they should disappear when baking.
- Pour half of batter into prepared pan & smooth with a spatula. Spread in the warm jam, being careful to keep it away from the edges so that it does not burn. Pour the remaining batter on top to cover the jam.
- Bake for 35 minutes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gluten-Free Baked Good
Put Summer in a Jar
How to freestyle berry jam
Freestyle berry jam.
A toast to toast.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.
The new Food52 office.
Octopi my heart.