If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Angel Food cake is so light and just about perfect in the summer it keeps well and is great served with seasonal fruit and berries. I took my favorite angel food cake recipe from James McNairs Cakes and made it gluten free. I served this cake with mixed fruit and soft whipped cream. —sdebrango
- 3/4 cup Gluten free flour (King Arthurs AP gluten free)
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Superfine sugar
- 2 cups Egg whites (from 10-12 eggs)
- 2 teaspoons Cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 teaspoons Orange zest (You can substitute lemon or lime also)
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees
- Sift dry ingredients 3 times and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment add your egg whites. Mix on med/low until frothy then add the cream of tartar increase speed to medium/high beat until billowy mounds appear. Start adding the remaining 3/4 cup sugar by the tablespoon beating continuously. The whites will be glossy and form stiff peaks this takes 5-7 minutes. Add the orange zest and vanilla extract beat until combined.
- Sift 1/3 of the flour mixture into the egg whites and using your balloon whisk mix together until incorporated. Add the rest of the flour mixture in 2 more installments gently folding each addition with your spatula. Make sure all of the flour mixture is blended with the egg whites bring your spatula all the way to the bottom of the mixing bowl.
- Scrape into tube pan, run butter knife around to make sure there are no air pockets, smooth the top and place in the oven. The oven racks should be positioned so that the cake is in the center of the oven. Bake 45-50 minutes,its too deep for tooth pick so use bamboo skewer to test it should come out clean. To cool invert cake let it cool 1 1/2 to 2 hours. To remove run flexible metal offset spatula around the sides and tube area gently remove cake.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gluten-Free Baked Good
Go Greek (Yogurt)
The secret to lighter, tangier whipped cream
Yogurt whipped cream: your new go-to.
Bagel and lox, in a salad.
Savor the season.
Churn with confidence.
A board to go nuts over.