If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe uses loads of seasonal produce. Paired with some fresh bread or pita, it makes a light but satisfying meal. - Ordinary Blogger (Rivki Locker)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- a dozen or so mint leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- beet greens, removed from one bunch of beets (use the beets for something else), cleaned and sliced
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1/3 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- extra mint, for garnish, optional
- Heat the oil in a medium soup pot. Add the onion and saute for a few minutes, till translucent. Add the garlic and celery and cook for a few minutes longer, stirring frequently.
- Now, add the mint, salt, and coriander. Mix well and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the beet greens and cook for a few minutes till they are softened and heated through.
- Add the lentils, bulgur and about 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a very gentle simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes, adding water as needed if it seems too thick.
- After the 1/2 hour of cooking, add the tomato and cook for about 10 minutes longer.
- Immediately before serving, whisk in the egg. Serve, garnished with mint if desired.
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.