If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I made this a few years ago for my birthday. The original gluten laden recipe is posted on epicurious by David Lebovitz but I found it an easy one to translate gluten free. It has a complex flavor, not too sweet and delightfully spicy. —flourishglutenfree
- 4 ounces Fresh ginger
- 1 cup mild molasses
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil (original recipe requests peanut)
- 1 1/2 cups sweet rice (mochi) flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch flour (not potato flour)
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup sorghum four
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs (at room temperature)
- Position oven rack in the center and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch bunt pan or line a 9 1/2 inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- Peal, slice and chop (or simply grate) the ginger very fine.
- Mix molasses, sugar and oil in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl sift flours, cinnamon, cloves and black pepper.
- Boil 1 cup of water in a saucepan, stir in baking soda and then mix hot water into the molasses mixture. Stir in fresh ginger.
- Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the molasses mixture. Add the eggs and continue mixing until well combined. Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes until the cake springs back when lightly touched or a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool for at least 30 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the cake and turn cake out onto a serving platter. Peel off any parchment paper. When fully cool, dust with gf powdered sugar and serve with loose whipped cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gluten-Free Baked Good
Let's Play Gin
It's time for Haiku52
Our haikus about gin.
Food blog links we love.
We've got the summer blues.
Are marinades worth it?
A better basket.