Author Notes: Yesterday our grandson asked me (very politely) do I have time to bake for him a Marble Cake. How could I refuse?
Since this weeks contest is gluten-free baking, I gave a recipe for a Lemon Yogurt Cake by Barefoot Contessa, a makeover.
Instead of 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour I used the two gluten-free substitutes (rice flour and ground almonds), and added cocoa for the marble part.
Serves makes 12 to 16 squares.
- • 1 cup white rice flour
- • 1/2 cup fine ground blanched almonds
- • 2 teaspoons baking powder
- • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- • 1 cup plane whole milk yogurt
- • 11/3 cups organic sugar, divided
- • 3 extra-large free-range eggs room temperature
- • 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- • 2 teaspoons orange zest
- • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- • 1/2 cup canola oil
- • 1 tablespoon Dutch process cocoa powder, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 by 8 by 2 1/2-inches baking dish or a loaf pan.
- Mix well together rice flour and almonds (ground in a food processor with 1/3 cup of the sugar), salt, baking powder and baking soda in one bowl. In another bowel, whisk together eggs with 1 cup sugar, add yogurt, lemon zest and vanilla.
- Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet; then fold in the canola oil into the batter until fully incorporated.
- Pour 2/3 of the batter into prepared pan; then to the remaining batter stir in the cocoa powder and orange zest.
- Pour this portion of the batter on top and with a wooden toothpick make any patterns you like. Bake for about 50 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gluten-Free Baked Good