If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Make your picnic a delight with an idea inspired by the bowle, but with more fruit than wine. Adding herbs to berries will also add flair to this fruit salad. Create a little picnic in a jar. - Sagegreen
Makes 6 servings
- @ 3 cups field fresh whole small strawberries
- 1/2 cup fresh small blueberries
- 1-2 tablespoons organic pure cane sugar, to taste
- 10 large herbal leaves including lemon verbena leaves and basil; pineapple sage and borage flowers can also be used
- 12 ounces dry white wine, or a little more to cover the berries
- sprigs of fresh herbs for garnish
- Wash and de-stem the strawberries and blueberries. Slice the strawberries in half (or even quarters if they are not really small). Layer the berries in a shallow glass pan. Sprinkle with sugar. Depending upon how dry the wine is, you may want to add 2 full tablespoons. Start with one; let it dissolve; test, and add more sugar if needed.
- Bruise the herbal leaves and toss these in with the berries. I have used 4 each of lemon verbena and rubin red basil with two pineapple sage leaves and some additional borage flowers.
- Pour the wine on top. Use enough wine to cover the berries. Chill and let this sit for about half a day. Remove the herbs and wring them out in the liquid.
- Scoop the berries into @ 6 oz.mason type jars. Divide and pour the liquid among the jars. Seal and pack for a picnic. Wrap each one in a cloth napkin. Soak paper towels in water and wring out. Wrap your herbal garnish gently in moist paper towels in a plastic bag, which you can then pack in a small basket pouch or suitable container.You can use a moldable chill pack to line the basket and drap with a small table cloth. At serving garnish with fresh sprigs of herbs. Serve with spoons or toothpicks. You can drink the "dressing" at the end (see photos). Any leftovers will keep for a day or so chilled.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.