If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There is nothing I can think of that is better to eat on a hot humid summer day than fresh watermelon. It is like a sip and a bite all in one. That is why I think that for summer picnics and cookouts, watermelon is a must. Here, it is combined with feta cheese, red onion, cucumber, and pistachios and then tossed in a simple vinaigrette. It seems like an odd departure from a simple slice of melon, but the flavors go together beautifully. - Waverly
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups cubed and seeded watermelon
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup peeled, seeded, and diced cucumber
- 1/4 cup raw pistachios, coarsely chopped and lightly toasted
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil or flat leaf parsley
- 1/4-1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- MAKE THE VINAIGRETTE: In a small bowl, combine the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and whisk until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- MAKE THE SALAD: In a large serving bowl, combine the watermelon, red onion, cucumber, pistachios, and herbs.
- TOSS AND SERVE: If you will be taking the salad on a picnic or otherwise waiting to eat it, place the vinaigrette and salad in separate "to go" containers and place in cooler. When you are ready to serve, toss the watermelon mixture with desired amount of vinaigrette. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
It's Time to Rhyme
The staff at Food52 give us their best haikus.
Do you haiku?
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Bake yourself breakfast.
Calling all recipe testers!