If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Father’s Day weekend pool and porch party food…Steamy outside and too hot to do much of anything, a table with Italian goodies for a light picnic dinner. This is a favorite around here and over time many changes have taken place, eggplants are smaller and I make a dressing instead of using unseasoned olive oil. The remaining dressing is great for bread dipping or drizzled over arugula.
Never pretty eggplant
- 1/2 cup EVOO
- 1 tablespoon or so of Balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon mint, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh basil, torn
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon Pecorino Romano
- 1 teaspoon Parmigiano
- extra mint and basil to serve with eggplant
Eggplant and seasonings
- 3 each graffitti and small long purple eggplants, peeled, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 tablespoon each minced parsley, basil, and mint, chopped
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano, freshly grated
- Place dressing ingredients into bowl and set aside until time to drizzle over eggplant. You’ll have dressing left, use for dipping extra bread slices.
- Brush eggplant slices with oil, both sides and season with a little salt and pepper, grill or roast until tender. Mix the dressing and spoon some of the dressing into a large dish roomy enough for all of the eggplant in layers. Spread dressing around and begin with a layer of eggplant, drizzle with a little of the seasoned oil, a tiny bit more balsamic vinegar, grated cheese and herbs. Add layers of eggplant seasoning each layer, gently pressing down each layer. Cover tightly and marinate for 24 hours, serve at room temperature with bread slices. Serving suggestions: Makes a fantastic anchor to an antipasto dinner.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
You Pinned, We Listened
This Month's Top 10 Pinterest Recipes
This month's most pinned recipes.
Food blog links we love.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
The best camping foods.
Savor the season.