If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This Indian/Pakistani dessert can be made ahead and is perfect for a picnic because it is just as good room temperature as it is hot, or straight out of the fridge. It is spiced with cardamom, and is traditionally made with sugar and is a little soupy. Mine is a little "drier" - won't run all over your picnic plate! - and is sweetened with honey which adds a gentle layer to the flavors. If you've had this from under a heat lamp at an Indian buffet, you'll be pleasantly surprised with how much more fresh and flavorful it tastes when you make it at home. - witchykitchen
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 4 cardamom pods, cracked
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- chopped pistachios for garnish
- Warm the butter or ghee and cardamom pods over medium heat until melted.
- Add carrots and cook gently, stirring, until they soften (they will already be pretty soft and "juicy" in the first place after being shredded).
- Add milk and cook, stirring, until the mixture is moist but not soupy.
- Stir in honey and remove from heat.
- Serve garnished with pistachios. You can also use chopped almonds or cashews, but I love how the green nuts look against the sunny carrots.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
Go strawberries, it's sherbet day.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Rock the roast.
Be shelf smart.
This is poppin'.