Author Notes: This salad is great for clearing out your pantry and can easily be taken outside. It goes with everything (great as a bed for grilled fish or chicken) and if you have them, glossy black Beluga lentils would be wonderful here. - cookingafterfive - nicolecooks
Food52 Review: Just when you thought that nothing could beat roasted cauliflowers, comes this "sunshiney" picnic salad from cookingafterfive. What do I rave about?
A. The crunchy earthy roasted florets.
B. The elegant sweet/sour citrusy dressing.
C. The extremely satisfying mouthfeel of the lentils and cous cous.
D. The bold morsels of feta & specks of parsley
My pick: E. All of the above.
I halved the recipe for practical purposes and fully intended to sit and enjoy it out on the lawn for lunch. It unfortunately barely made it out of the kitchen.
Note: The ingredients calls for 1 large garlic clove minced, but there are no instructions for its use in the method. Rather than second guess where it should be used, I chose to omit it all together.
- Panfusine - Panfusine
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 cup couscous
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cups extra-virgin olive oil (for dressing), plus some to toss with the cauliflower
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- feta cheese, for sprinkling
- Toss cauliflower with some extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper until well coated. Roast in a 425 degree oven for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown and caramelized.
- While the cauliflower roasts, make the lentils. Bring 2 cups water to a boil and add lentils. Boil until cooked through, about 30 minutes. (Check the package instructions and test as you go; cooking times will vary.) Drain any remaining water and place in a large bowl.
- In the same pot, bring couscous and 1 cup water to a boil. Immediately remove from heat, cover, and let sit 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and add to bowl, along with the cauliflower and parsley.
- In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper and a drizzle of honey. Slowly whisk in oil until emulsified. Taste for seasonings. Pour over the salad and toss to combine. Serve warm sprinkled with feta.