If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Even though I made my Joe's from scratch, it still took me less than 30 minutes from start to finish, and was most definitly a one-pot-wonder. That's always a plus, for sure. Clean up was a breeze- making this one that will be going into my regular rotation. We ate these open-faced with a knife and fork- cutting out the additional calories, about 50-60 calories to be exact. Nothing wrong with that, right? It's about the simple things- things you will be surprised you wont miss.
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6oz) can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups summer squash, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium beef or chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese
- 3 hamburger buns (6 bun halves)
- Preheat ovenbroiler to HIGH.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the onion and garlic until golden and soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add ground beef until browned, about 7 minutes. Add the squash and sauté 1 minute more.
- While beef and squash are working, Stir in the tomato paste and next 7 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring until paste and sugar has dissolved. Pour over ground beef mixture.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook until the mixture has thickened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1 ounce cheese over each half of the hamburger buns. Transfer buns to the broiler, open-faced, and toast until the cheese has melted and toasted.
- Remove the buns from the oven and fill each sandwich with the squash-and-meat mixture. Serve immediately..with a fork :)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
You Pinned, We Listened
This Month's Top 10 Pinterest Recipes
This month's most pinned recipes.
Food blog links we love.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
The best camping foods.
Savor the season.