Author Notes: This is a very old recipe given to me by my good friend Jean. It travels well to a picnic and is the perfect partner for hot dogs and pork dishes.
You make this the day before to give the ingredients a chance to marry. No refrigeration needed when you take it to the picnic. - jane mcmillan
Serves 10 to 12
- 1 pound can sauerkraut
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 3 tablespoons diced pimentos
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Drain sauerkraut about 15 minutes, then cut up with shears into 1 inch pieces.
- Place the sauerkraut in a large bowl .
- Add all the rest of the ingredients, and stir to mix well.
- Cover and chill overnight .
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish