If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This strawberry roulade owes its existence to the fact that I was lacking one crucial ingredient in all the quick strawberry cake recipes I browsed. I used low-fat ricotta but when I make it again I'll use whole-milk ricotta. The next day the roulade did not look so pretty any more but it tasted even better. - MyGardenersTable
- Sponge cake:
- 2 eggs + 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- 12 ounces strawberries
- 10 ounces ricotta
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar, more for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line the bottom of a 16 x 11-inch jellyroll pan with parchment. Grease the parchment and the sides of the pan.
- Beat the eggs and the egg white until light and fluffy.
- Mix the flour with the baking powder and the salt and sift into the eggs. Fold it into the eggs lightly but thoroughly until no more flour pockets remain.
- Pour the dough into the jellyroll pan and smoothen it with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until golden and springy to the touch.
- Lift the parchment with the sponge cake onto the kitchen counter or a baking sheet and cover immediately with a clean dry kitchen towel. Let cool.
- Lightly toast the pistachios. Cool, then chop and set aside.
- Beat the ricotta with the vanilla extract and the confectioner’s sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Wash, hull and slice the strawberries.
- Flip the parchment with the sponge cake over and place it on a large baking sheet lined with the kitchen towel or with parchment. Carefully remove the parchment from the baking of the sponge cake.
- Spread the ricotta evenly over the sponge cake, leaving about ½ inch uncovered on the long sides. Spread the sliced strawberries on top and sprinkle with the pistachios.
- Using the towel as a lifter, roll up the cake from the long side. Place the roulade with the seam-side down on a serving platter. If you are making this just en famille, and not for fancy presentation, or if you don’t. have a platter long enough, cut it in half to fit, (that’s what I did). Chill for 1 hour. Dust with confectioner’s sugar before serving.
A Genius Dinner Party: Part 2
Of course, it involves no-knead pizza dough.
A genius dinner party: part 2
A list of things we like.
All you need for Memorial Day.
Home & design links we love.
Mortar and pestle perfection.