If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For every picnic or cookout growing up, my Mom made a great Mexican dip. She doesn't know where the recipe came from, probably a friend who quickly jotted the basic ingredients down for her. The ingredients are simple, but the flavor combinations make this special. We hadn't seen the dish in at least 10 years, so for my grandmother's 90th birthday this weekend, I had my mom unearth this dish. It was just as good as I remembered. - meganvt01
Serves a bunch of hungry picnicers
- 2 large tomatoes, diced, juices and all
- 4 scallions, minced
- 1 4 oz can chopped green chili peppers, liquid drained
- 1 4 oz can chopped ripe olives, liquid drained
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Combine all the ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste. For best results, make the dip a few hours before your picnic to let the flavors blend together. Serve with tortilla chips or even spoon over grilled chicken or fish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
We're woven this backpack.