If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My first taste of Skordalia was in the 70’s in a Greek restaurant on a plate with roasted lamb and potatoes. My version is lighter on the garlic with a milder flavor since the garlic is roasted. Taste as you go adding as much or as little garlic to suit your taste. Easily prepared ahead and packaged in a plastic container, cooler ready. For a picnic the first time that I made it was for an outing at a lake and grilled on one of those park pedestal grills. The skewered potatoes and other veggies can be stored in one of those cheapo deviled egg containers that fit nicely into my Ascot picnic cooler. - ibbeachnana - ibbeachnana
Food52 Review: Whether you are a potato lover or not this recipe will be one that you will want to add to your repertoire. The skordalia alone is a reason to head into the kitchen on a hot summer day. This flavorful spread can be used on so many things, we slathered it on everything that was on the plate the evening that it was made; vegetables, fish, even fingers! I couldn’t get rosemary branches, but imagine that they would elevate the flavor profile of this dish even more. This recipe would be great for a BBQ too. - sticksnscones - sticksnscones
- 6-8 baby red potatoes, cleaned and parboiled, reserve the potato water
- 2 Rosemary branches or 2 wooden skewers, soaked in water
- Porcini salt, or Mediterranean seasoned salt, kosher, or sea salt
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- 5-6 ounces blanched almonds, or half almonds and 1/2 toasted pine nuts
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice and a little zest
- 1/4 cup olive oil, equal parts EVOO and a milder olive oil
- 1 head roasted garlic
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup potato water
- *optional ground red pepper flakes
- Strip the rosemary sprig 2/3rds the way up and skewer the potatoes, drizzle with olive oil, seasonings and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Place in container seal, refrigerate or place in cooler.
- Make the Skordalia: Use a food processor to make the almond puree adding the garlic, lemon juice, salt+pepper and slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Most of the time the puree is too thick, so this is where you can start adding some of the potato water to thin the puree. I store the puree in a stick blender container and give it final whirl adding a little more water if necessary, serve at room temperature.
- Grill the potatoes and your choice of veggies and meat, chicken or fish. Place some of the puree in a serving dish or on a plate, top with hot potatoes and vegetables, drizzle with a little olive oil and serve. Great leftovers!
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.