If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love the savory relish that really ties this sandwich together. Combined with rich sausage and sharp pepperocinis, it's a tasty sandwich - warm or cold. - erinmcdowell
- 2 tablespoons good extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, very thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- In a small pot or saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they are translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Lower the heat, add the garlic, and continue to cook over low heat until the onions are caramelized, about 8-10 minutes more. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Deglaze the pan with apple cider vinegar, and raise the heat and continue to cook until the vinegar has been reduced completely and the relish has broken down to a thick, nearly spreadable consistency.
- The relish can be served warm, or cooled and refrigerated until ready to use.
- 3 Sausages (I like to use garlic sausage or something with nice spice)
- 1 baguette, halved
- onion relish, to taste
- 6-8 pepperoncini peppers, thinly sliced
- Cook the sausages in a saute pan until browned evenly on all sides. Continue to cook until they are cooked through (you can pop your pan in the oven at 350 for a more even cooking if you like), about 6-8 minutes. I like to grill the sausages, just 'cus. Let cool completely. You can either slice the sausage or keep it whole.
- Tear some of the excess bread from the center of the baguette to make more room for the sausages. If you’re keeping your sausages whole, tear out enough bread that the sausages will fit perfectly inside.
- Spread both slices of baguette with onion relish. Add the sausages and sprinkle with the peppers. Wrap up and take to go!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
Why the Simplest Recipes Are Still Worthwhile
Cheer up with chickpeas.
Goya's Balsamic Chickpea Salad
The sun is out: Are you?
It's Snack Time
Gifts for Mother's Day
Good day, sunshine.