If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A travel snack should be easy, make ahead, and travel well. I'm more of the non-chocolate dessert type, so blondies have always been my preferred bar dessert. My three year old is in love with blueberries, so we always have them around. They go great with macadamia nuts for crunch and a bit of nutmeg for spiciness. You can really use whatever nut you have at home that is your favorite, as long as it is toasted nicely.
The blondie recipe is sort of a mash up of Mark Bittman's and the classic Joy of Cooking. If this recipe were on a brownie box it would say "somewhere between cake-like and fudge-like." I like the addition of granulated sugar to get a bit of a crunchy crust and a bit more salt to give the blondies that carmelized saltiness. Best of all - brown the the butter for the recipe - the toasty flavor really makes it special. —meganvt01
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts, toasted and chopped
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350. In one bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg. Stir well.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium low heat until lightly golden brown. Add sugars to the saucepan and stir to dissolve sugars. Remove from heat and cool.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla to the cooled butter/sugar mixture.
- Add this mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix in the nuts.
- Pour the batter into a greased 8X8 baking dish. Sprinkle blueberries over top. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Berry Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
Make Fruit Caramel
A case for blending your plums
Blend your plums—seriously.
Burnt Toast: Episode 11
It's time to travel.
You need to make this Indian spice mix.
Off to market.