If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe can be made with a mix, but is so much better made from scratch. Variations are endless, Lil’ Smokies can replace the hot dogs, red pepper flakes or jalapenos can spice them up. White or yellow cornmeal can be used but yellow gives the muffins the authentic “State Fair Corny Dog” appeal. - shearpamela
- 1 cup Yellow Stone Ground Cornmeal (divided use)
- 2 teaspoons Brown Sugar (or white)
- 1/2 teaspoon Table Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/3 cup Water, boiling
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk
- 1 Large Egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 4 teaspoons Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup Fresh Corn Kernels (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Mustard Seed (optional)
- 5 to 8 Kosher Hot Dogs, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees, place muffin pan in the oven as it heats.
- Add 1/3 cup of the cornmeal into a medium bowl, pour 1/3 cup rapidly boiling water into to make a cornmeal mush. It should be the texture of soft polenta. If too stiff add more hot water. (This step intensifies the corn flavor.) Stir in buttermilk until smooth, then stir in the beaten egg.
- Mix together the remaining cornmeal,sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside until oven temperature is ready and muffin pan is hot, then gently stir dry ingredients into the cornmeal mush. Add chopped kosher hot dogs (I like Nathan’s or Hebrew National)
- Remove muffin pan from the oven and brush the insides with the vegetable oil. Pour batter into the cups almost to the rim, about 3/4 full.
- Bake until golden brown 20 minutes. Remove from muffin pan to cool on a wire rack.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
Have a Brew-ti-ful Day
Shop our newest caffeinated collection.
Everything you need for coffee and tea.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
A list of things we like.
Home & design links we love.
Add flower power to your espresso.