If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe comes from my mother-in-law who used to make it all the time for her husband. I had it one of the first times that I met my husband's family and fell it love with it (and them too!). We love it so much I even requested that my MIL make it for our rehearsal dinner BBQ. We make it as soon as green beans start appearing at our farmer's market and continue to make it all summer long. This colorful and crisp salad is perfect for picnics, potlucks and summer suppers on the patio. - TaraT
Makes a lot
For the dressing
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons dijon or stoneground mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
For the salad
- 1 pound penne pasta, cooked and cooled
- 3/4-1 pounds Steamed, cold green beans
- 1 can water chestnuts, drained
- 1 can black olives
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 sliced red bell pepper
- 1 handful basil leaves, rolled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup bleu cheese
- Whisk together the vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- While whisking, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until the dressing emulsifies. Set aside.
- Steam the green beans until they are crisp tender. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, cook and cool the pasta according to the directions on the package.
- Add the green beans, tomatoes, sliced bell pepper, olives, cheese and water chestnuts to the pasta in a large bowl.
- Pour on the dressing and stir gently to combine. Eat immediately or put in the fridge. The salad will be delicious for a leftover lunch if it's not gobbled up at your picnic!
Tags: travels well
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls