Author Notes: Cucumber salad is a very easy recipe -- no cooking involved! Plus it's very forgiving ... serve almost immediately for a crisp, refreshing salad, or let it mellow in the fridge for a couple of days for a merely awesome experience (the way I prefer).
You can use a regular cuke if you prefer, but an English cucumber does not need any peeling. - ohyoucook
- 1 English Cucumber
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup white vinegar (do NOT use cider vinegar)
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped (about 1 tsp.)
- Thinly slice the cucumber. Place slices in a colander, then sprinkle salt over them. Move the slices around so you hit each with some of the salt. Let sit for 15 minutes to let salt draw out some moisture.
- In a 1 quart bowl, combine vinegar, dill, sugar, black pepper and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Blot excess salty-moisture from the cucumber slices. No need to rinse. Add slices to the vinegar mixture. Top with onions and garlic; gently toss to evenly coat everything.
- Voila! You are done! Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 2 days.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish