If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I thought about this tart for two days before I pinpointed the ingredients I wanted. It's fantastic with really good summer tomatoes. I didn't toast the pine nuts in the picture above (which is of the assembled tart before cooking) but I bet they would be better if you did. I like gruyere with tomatoes but I bet this would be good with any cheese that you like, and of course there are lots of variations with herbs. —LucyS
For the pie crust
- 3/4 cup all purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- pinch salt
- A few tablespoons cold water
For the tart filling
- 3-4 ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- about 1 cup shredded gruyere
- about three big handfuls basil
- 1 egg
- toasted pine nuts (optional)
- Cut the cold butter into bits and rub it with your hands in the flour and some salt until it forms corse crumbs (or use a food processor). Add water a bit at a time until you can form a smooth dough ball. Refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 350. Finely chop or process the basil to the consistency of pesto. Add the gruyere and ricotta, and salt to taste. Add egg.
- Roll out the pie dough to line an 8-9" pan. Cover the dough with tinfoil or parchment paper and add beans, pie weights, or rice. Blind bake until it begins to brown, then remove the tinfoil and bake for a few minutes uncovered if the center is still moist.
- Line the bottom of the pie dough with the cheese and basil mixture. Cover with a layer of tomato slices. Repeat until the tart shell is full, then sprinkle with toasted pine nuts if desired.
- Bake at 350 until the cheese is bubbling and the tomatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
Get Baking This Labor Day
These recipes are worth a little kitchen labor
Get baking this Labor Day.
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our staff's best storage tips.
Storage made crystal clear.