Author Notes: When I look at these pictures and think of this dressing I want to go make it right away. Whether you use the dressing on tomatoes and avocado or just a green salad I don't care. Make the dressing.
It's got that buttermilk tang and then the freshness of the cilantro. It's quite simple to whip up and something I need to make much more of this summer. Great assembled like this for a dinner or if you're having a barbecue simply place the tomatoes and avocado and onion on a platter and drizzle the dressing over it all for people to take family style.
Recipe adapted from and thanks to Cooking Light. - goodspoon
Buttermilk Cilantro Dressing
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch pepper to taste
Heirloom and Avocado Salad
- 4 heirloom tomatoes
- 1-3 pinch good salt, fleur de sel works well
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 avocados, diced
- To prepare the dressing you can pulse is all in the food processor or just mix in a bowl really well. I went the bowl route this time for less cleanup and it all worked just fine. Cover and chill the dressing until you're ready to enjoy it.
- To assemble the salad place a tomato slice on a plate and salt it. Top with onion then avocado. Add another tomato slice, onion, avo and repeat. Drizzle the dressing over top and indulge!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish