Author Notes: This original and very tasty salad’s recipe I adapted from my sister who loves any dishes which include eggplants.
I made this salad with deferent cheeses and lettuces and also toasted walnuts or pecans scattered on top.
For transporting use a safe food container and serve on paper plates or on sturdy slices of ray or sourdough bread.
- • 1 medium bunch Arugula or any lettuce of your choice
- • 2 medium eggplants, unpeeled, washed and ends cut of
- • 3 tablespoons olive oil (some more if needed)
- • 1 lemon juiced
- • 1 large garlic clove, minced
- • Salt and freshly grinned black pepper
- • 1 cup good quality Havarti cheese cut in small cubes
- • 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves or any other herb of your choice
- Cut the eggplants lengthwise in slices, then in bite size cubes and salt them liberally. Transfer to a colander and leave for about 20 to 30 minutes to drain; then rinse and dry thoroughly in paper towels.
- Meanwhile wash and dry the lettuce, cut or torn into pieces, mince garlic and cube the cheese.
- In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons olive oil on medium-high heat and sauté eggplants in portions, adding a little of the remaining oil, until browned on all sides about 10 minutes each portion.
- When ready, gently toss the eggplants with garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Add lettuce and cheese cubes, transfer to a platter or a salad bowl, top with some more olive oil and fresh herb leaves.
- Serve warm or room temperature. For transporting use a safe food container and serve on paper plates or on sturdy slices of ray or sourdough bread.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish