If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Dolmas are stuffed grape leaves and I liken them to a Mediterranean spring roll. These little gems are so filled with flavor, and I love the contrast of spicy, sweet, and tart! You will experience a veritable explosion of flavors with each bite! Great for a picnic, dip your dolma in some hummus or a tahini sauce and enjoy! —BeamingwithHealth
Makes 24-28 dolmas
- 7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Small Onion, minced
- 1 pound Grass fed, organic ground lamb
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 6 tablespoons dried currants
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 8 ounces jar of grape leaves
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Several thin slices of lemon
- 2-3 bay leaves
- Handful of sliced almonds
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and sauté until transparent. (You may add a little water to keep from browning onions). Add the ground lamb and cook completely. About half way through cooking the lamb, add the dill, currants, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cumin. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes.
- Place a grape leaf on a plate, vein side up. Place 1-2 heaping teaspoons of the filling in the center of each grape leaf. Cut the stem from the leaf if there is one. Fold the sides of the leaves over the filling and roll gently from the bottom to the top. Arrange the dolmas in a baking dish.
- Mix together the lime juice, remaining olive oil, and water to equal one cup of liquid. Pour over the dolmas. Top with several slices of lemon or lime and 2 or 3 bay leaves. Sprinkle with a few sliced almonds. Layer any remaining grape leaves on top. Cover loosely with foil. Bake at 350 ° for 45 minutes or until the liquid is almost completely absorbed.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
Let's Play Gin
It's time for Haiku52
Our haikus about gin.
Food blog links we love.
We've got the summer blues.
Are marinades worth it?
A better basket.