If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I'm from the South and in my family we spend countless days each summer "putting-up" vegetables, making preserves, and pickling everything we can possibly think of. So needless to say, I have a lot of empty Mason jars lying around my condo in Atlanta, GA. One late summer day, when the tomatoes are incredibly ripe and juicy, I made a gazpacho to take on a picnic to the park with a whole mess of my food loving friends. But my problem was how to transport and serve it.
I needed something that could hold it and be sealed, and preferably something that didn't need bowls and spoons. So I looked around and found my stash of Mason jars just begging to be used. So I packed it up and headed to the park, where all my friends loved being able to "drink" their gazpacho straight from the Mason jar.
I love to serve this with pickled shrimp and a crisp white wine. —UrbanCleaver
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe summer Tomatoes, quartered
- 1 stalk Celery, chopped
- 1/2 small Cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium Shallot, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2 cups Tomato juice
- 4 leaves Basil, chiffonade
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped Parsley
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Dry White Wine
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 Lime
- Process the tomatoes, and celery separately and put them in a large bowl. Process the cucumber, shallot and garlic together and add to the bowl with the tomatoes and celery.
- Add the tomato juice and next 4 ingredients. Squeeze the juice from the lime into the bowl.
- Ladle the mixture into 6 1/2-pint Mason jars. Seal and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
We're obsessed with savory yogurt
Savory yogurt is whey cool.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
A multilayered lunchbox to love.
We give it 8 tentacles up.