If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Cooks often attempt to lighten up coleslaw by removing the mayonnaise from the dressing. But why take away the joy? Instead, lighten it by replacing the sturdy cabbage with crisper, featherweight napa cabbage. Here, sliced almonds and sesame seeds add a little crunch and heft, and ginger brightens up the dressing. Add as much mayonnaise as you like. A giant dollop, you crazy cat! - Amanda —Amanda Hesser
- 1/2 to 1 napa cabbage, trimmed and very thinly sliced (about 8 cups)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 3 tablespoons basil leaves, thinly sliced (or torn)
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or lemon and lime)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 to 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine the sliced cabbage, almonds, sesame seeds, basil, and scallions in a large bowl. Mix together.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, ginger, and mayonnaise. Season with salt. Gradually whisk in the olive oil until smooth.
- Pour most but not all of the dressing over the cabbage mixture, and toss until lightly coated with the dressing. Taste, and add more dressing or seasoning as needed. Feel free to add more oil or mayo if desired. Eat soon. The cabbage gets watery as it wilts.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Make 3-ingredient frozen yogurt at home
Never buy frozen yogurt again.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Know (and shop) the basics.
The invincible beer can chicken.
The chicest apron around.