If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The Mango lassi's 'solid' cousin! Mango Srikhand is a classic dessert/snack dish from the Western Indian state of Maharashtra, home to the Alphonso Mango, undoubtedly the best tasting variety of mangoes in the world. The traditional version is simply a blend of sweet mango pulp with thickened yogurt, spiced up with cardamom and saffron. My version is a whipped lighter (ok, it does have a generous component of whipped cream) variation. Adding the Meyer Lemon juice at the end tends to help the whipped cream hold up its shape better & also adds a lovely citrus tang to the simple, yet delicious dessert. —Panfusine
Food52 Review: Testing notes from Whole Foods Market Cooking: Panfusine's spiced and spoonable Mango Srikhand would be a refreshing and welcome treat any time of day. A quick zap in a food processor (we found a full-size one worked best) produces a beautifully speckled, soft yellow pudding thanks to the saffron threads and crushed cardamom. Don't skimp on the pistachios -- the crunch is a great complement to the creamy mango yogurt mixture. - elbellguttman —Food52
- 1.5 cups plain greek yogurt
- 4 slices ripe mango from a can (OR)
- 3 whole peeled, Champagne or ataulfo mangoes preferred here, just the 'cheeks'
- 4 teaspoons confectioners sugar
- 8-10 strands of saffron, plus more for garnishing
- seeds from 3 cardamom pods (powdered)
- 5-6 pistachio,halves for garnishing
- 1/2 cup Heavy whipping cream
- Juice of 1 meyer lemon or a small regular lemon
- In a small food processor, blend the mangoes, cardamom powder, saffron, confectioners sugar & whipped cream until the mixture has the thick texture of pancake batter.
- Keeping the processor on, add the Greek yogurt (and extra sugar, if desired). Once the yogurt has been incorporated, Add the Lemon juice. Allow the processor to run for 30 seconds more until the citrus completely mixes. Transfer the yogurt into a serving bowl or individual ramekins, garnish liberally with pistachio and a couple of saffron strands. Chill until set (the texture should be similar to pudding). Serve cold.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mangoes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.