If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I don't love mayo. Plus, living in DC, much of the year it just feels too hot and humid to serve mayo based salads with a barbecue or for a picnic. This slaw is great with barbecued meat or fish, and is a perfect complement to fish tacos. I sometimes eat the leftovers over brown rice or quinoa with a little feta on top! - healthierkitchen
Serves 4 - 6 as a side dish
- 1 small head green cabbage (or half a large head), cored and thinly sliced or shredded
- 3 stalks celery, or more to taste, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced in small strips rather than in rings
- 2 - 3 tablespoons cilantro, optional (I add this if I'm using it with fish tacos)
- 2-1/2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice, about 1 good sized, juicy lime.
- 2 tablespoons canola or other light vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- few pinches kosher salt
- few grinds fresh ground pepper
- Mix the cut cabbage, celery, red onion and cilantro (if using) in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the ime juice, canola oil and olive oil.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the vegetables and then top with the salt and pepper. Mix well (though the mix will not look slaw-like yet, the cabbage will eventually give off some liquid and will look a bit "pickled" and translucent). Let it sit out on the counter for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. After the hour, taste for salt and pepper an serve. This can be made ahead and refrigerated, though it will get softer and less crisp. If you do refrigerate, take it out about a half an hour before you want to use it to get the chill out.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
Exaggerated Chocolate Chip Cookies
Extra thin, extra delicious.
Ultra Thin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Easygoing banana bread.
DIY Herb Rub
Pasta e Fagioli
Go play outside!