If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Capreses banned from this contest but not tomatoes - way hay.....
Here goes it. Crudo means raw in Italian and this platter of tomatoes with select toppings is quick to rustle up and tastes great. Various other versions exist - courgettes, salmon....an endless list really —Kitchen Butterfly
Makes a platter
- 1/2 a small (banana) shallot
- Sherry vinegar
- 12 or more cherry (heirloom) tomatoes, mixed colours, washed
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced/passed through a garlic press
- 1 teaspoon - tablespoon finely chopped parsley or your favourite soft herbs (cilantro, mint or basil, even shiso'
- Optional, to serve - rings of black olive, burratta or mini buffallo mozarella balls
- Lay out a platter - round preferably. Plays up nicely to rings of sliced tomatoes. Chop the shallot finely, sprinkle with some salt and pickle in 1 tablespoon of sherry vinegar. Set aside while you prepare the tomatoes
- Slice the tomatoes a bit less than 1/2 a centimetre thick. Arrange the slices in rings, starting with the rim of the platter and working your way in. Then sprinkle with some kosher or sea salt and black pepper.
- Stir the shallots in the vinegar and add (to taste), the minced garlic. Sprinkle the shallot-garlic combination over the tomatoes. Let sit for at least 10 minutes (up to 1/2 an hour) at room temperature.
- Sprinkle on the chopped parsley over the top, just before serving. Accompany with suggested sides, if desired
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cherry Tomatoes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
These Figs are Feeling a Little Tart
Learn to love fruit with chocolate
Learning to love fruit with chocolate.
How to throw a Genius dinner party for 30.
We've got the summer blues.
13 essential cooking apps.
A better basket.