If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Age old technique of preserving fish. Modern flavours and scents. Perfect pair and great in the summer.
I prefer to grate the zests with a microplane - more essential oils and all that.... —Kitchen Butterfly
Makes 1 side of salmon
- Zest of 1 orange
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lime
- Zest of 1 tangerine
- 12 – 20 buds fresh/brined green peppercorns, crushed
- 1 & 1/2 cups of superfine sugar
- 1/2 cup sea salt
- 1 side of frozen (Alaskan sock/eye) salmon, filleted, skinned, pin bones removed (mine weighed just over 1kg)
- To serve: Creme fraiche, citrus zest
- Allow the fish to defrost in the refrigerator. It is 'safest' to use frozen salmon so as to kill off parasites prior to curing.
- On a baking tray which can fit into your fridge, lay out a piece of clingfilm/plastic wrap, longer than the length of the fish. Then triple the plastic wrap to increase its strength, folding it back on itself to create a strong base.
- Combine the zests and peppercorns together with sugar and sea salt till well mixed.
- Make a bed for the fish by spreading out half of the sugar-salt-spice mixture on the plastic wrap. Place the salmon fillet on top. Cover with the rest of the sugar-salt-spice mixture, rubbing it so the entire surface is covered.
- Then cover with plastic wrap till a nice package is formed.Refrigerate overnight (12 hours at least), or for up to three days.
- When ready, remove the salmon from the fridge - you should find it swimming in a pool of liquid. I discarded mine!
- Wash the fillet under cold water to remove the cure then pat dry.
- Slice thinly to serve and accompany with dollops of creme fraiche and more grated citrus zest. And a crisp white.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
Have Your Campari—and Eat It, Too
Granita is really, really great
Spike your granita with campari.
The craziest chip around.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Savor the season.
This pasta's mint to be.