If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This salad is loosely based on one that I used to get when I lived in San Francisco. It's fresh, simple and amazing.It also works well with pink grapefruit in place of orange. —DailyMeals
- 1 Medium fennel bulb, or 2 small
- 1 Juicy orange or grapefruit
- 1 Whole smoked rainbow trout, or 2 fillets
- 1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cut the end off the fennel bulb and cut in half. Slice as thinly as you can by hand or on a mandoline. Also set aside the fennel fronds to garnish the finished salad.
- Next supreme the orange. Cut a tiny bit off the base, then stand it up and slice the peel off in sections so the flesh is exposed. Carefully take your knife and slice in between each membrane down to the center to get perfect slice with no skin.
- Once you have all your orange slices, juice the rest of the orange into a bowl or blender. Add your olive oil and salt and pepper and whisk or process to make a vinaigrette.
- Add fennel and orange to a medium bowl.
- Flake the trout into small pieces. Add to the fennel and orange, then add the vinaigrette. Finally, add the fennel fronds. Stir together and serve. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
Booze Cruise at Home
No boats, passports, or crowds—only cocktails
Booze cruise at home.
A genius zucchini dish.
It's time to travel.
Is your cilantro contaminated?