Author Notes: This combination of a Chunky Gazpacho with spicy shrimps, cool and creamy avocados is an easy, but very tasty and satisfying summery dish.
For the Gazpacho
- • 2 1/2 pounds ripe, but firm meaty organic tomatoes
- • 2 cups good quality tomato juice, if needed
- • About 1/2 cup fresh lime juice or to taste
- • About 1 1/2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- • 4 tablespoons best quality extra-virgin olive oil
- • 2 teaspoons sea salt
- • 2 bell peppers, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- • 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- • 1 large English cucumber, peeled in stripes, halved, seeded and diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- • 2 teaspoons ground coriander
For Shrimp Ceviche:
- • 12 oz medium shrimps, peeled and deveined
- • 2 large lemons, juiced
- • 2 limes, juiced plus more for avocados
- • 1 whole serrano chile, diced small
- • 2 ripe Hass avocados, peeled and sliced into about 1/3-inch slices
- • 2-3 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- • 1 small red onion or a large shallot, small diced
- Make Shrimp Ceviche: Place shrimps in a medium glass or stainless steel bowl. Add lemon and lime juices and stir in the Serrano chile, onion and cilantro leaves. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for about 2 to 3 hours or until the shrimps turn a light pink color and are not translucent.
- Make Gazpacho: Cut in half, gently squeeze out the seeds and then dice 1/3 of all tomatoes, transfer to a large bowl. Add bell peppers, scallions, cucumber and coriander. Cover the bowl and place in refrigerator.
- In a blander puree remaining tomatoes until smooth, add lime juice, Tabasco sauce, salt, olive oil and tomato juice (if needed), blend until combined. Pour to a pitcher and chill until ready to serve (at list 1 hour and up to 6 hours).
- When ready to serve taste and adjust the seasonings. Ladle pureed Gazpacho to soup balls for each person, spoon the chunky mixture, lemon and lime marinade from Ceviche, and arrange a few shrimps and avocado slices on top. Squeeze a liberal amount of lime juice on top and sprinkle fresh cilantro leaves.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Avocados
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw