Author Notes: Using raw asparagus in this salad showcases the flavor of the vegetable in a whole new way. - shearpamela
- 1/2 cup pine nuts toasted
- 1 pound asparagus, rinsed (green or white asparagus, or a combination would be beautiful)
- 1 lemon, halved
- olive oil
- sea salt or kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, shaved
- Lay asparagus flat on a surface, and using the tough end as a handle, shave off thin ribbons using a vegetable peeler. Throw away the tough ends that remain.
- Place the asparagus onto a platter and squeeze lemon juice and drizzle olive oil to taste. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss on a few toasted pine nuts.
- Shave parmesan onto the salad and serve immediately. (I do this ahead so it is ready to go when the lemon and olive oil step is done)
- Note: For best results do not add the lemon and olive oil until the very last second or the asparagus will start to soften and wilt - although still delicious!
- Optional: A small clove of fresh minced garlic steeped in the olive oil prior to using is a nice fragrant addition to this salad for the garlic lovers in the house!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw