If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is an earth tasting salad which can be made with either white mushrooms or fresh Porcini.
The key to success in this salad is to peel and cut the mushrooms paper thin. Yup, you read it, peel the mushrooms. I learned this technique from a French friend – you peel them from the base to the top of the cap, resulting in super clean and smooth mushroom. No need to brush and damage your mushrooms and they get to be very white, even if they had some minor damages.
As for cutting them super thin, I set my mandolin to the minimum, I hold the mushroom with my fingers and then just go for it. You need to be careful but that’s what you have to do in the kitchen.
- Maria Teresa Jorge
- 8 medium mushrooms
- 2 celery stalks
- Grana Padano in block
- 4-6 medium fresh figs
- 20 Bresaola slices
- Arugula for finish
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Lemon juice
- Wash celery sticks and cut the across very thinly.
- Clean figs and slice them.
- Slice the Grana on a mandoline to have very thin shavings.
- Prepare the mushrooms: cut the stalks and then turn the mushroom up-side down. With a sharp knife, make a very small incision on the skin and pull down like peeling a banana. Go around the mushroom until it’s all peeled. Turn it back up and see if you need trimming any skin left on top. With a mandolin set to a minimum height, cut the mushrooms sideways to paper thin height. (Watch fingers)
- Prepare your plate: Set the Bresaola slices on the bottom, then the sliced mushrooms and sprinkle with celery. Add some salt, pepper, drizzle with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and some lemon juice (watch the salt, the Grana and the Bresaola are quite savoury by themselves).
- Add the sliced figs on top, Grana shavings, and decorate with some arugula. Drizzle a tid more Extra Virgin Olive Oil, sea salt, pepper and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
Take Some Time For Yourself
Indulge in a luxe dinner tonight.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Grilled Brie Sandwiches
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Dumplings, No Recipe Required