If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I wrote this recipe last summer when I moved to Dallas from Cleveland and it was so hot. I based this cold zucchini basil soup on a zucchini salad that I love to make. Before you say bleck, give me a chance. The soup is bright, tangy and delicious. If you marinate raw zucchini in lemon juice and salt, then not unlike ceviche, the lemon softens the zucchini and blunts the rawness as well as releases a lot of liquid which makes a great base for the soup. I then added basil, raw garlic, olive oil and a touch of the lovely Mexican cream I love down here to make a lovely cold, pureed and very green soup. Light, refreshing and easy - OB Cookie
- 4 medium zucchini
- 2 large lemons
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed basil leaves
- 2 green onions (greens and whites)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup Mexican sour cream (found in Mexican grocery stores, it is thinner than sour cream) or 1/2 cup sour cream with 2 tbsp milk to thin
- water as needed to thin soup
- Grate zucchini
- Add lemon juice and salt to zucchini in large bowl and refrigerate until cold and zucchini has begun to release juice at least one hour.
- Loosely chop garlic, basil leaves and green onion
- Reserve 1/4 cup grated zucchini for garnish
- Add all ingredients to blender (including excess liquid from zucchini which will be the base for the soup), blend until smooth. Add water if necessary to thin soup to desired consistency.
- Serve cold
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.