Author Notes: I think this recipe really shows off the mind-altering power of raw garlic, complemented by other summer produce from the farmer's market. Your dinner guests may get nervous when they see you mashing up all the cloves--and I wouldn't recommend it as a prelude to making-out--but I guarantee they'll end up cleaning their plates. I make this every year at the beach, and turn it into a meal by serving with lightly seasoned grilled chicken or steak. - Adam E
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow summer squash, sliced into 1/8 inch-thick coins
- 1 zucchini, sliced into 1/8 inch-thick coins
- 6 cups arugula, washed and loosely packed
- 4 tablespoons minced chives
- 1/3 cup shaved parmigiano-reggiano
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- Add crushed garlic to lemon juice with a pinch of salt. Let sit for 15 minutes while assembling other ingredients.
- Whisk olive oil into lemon juice, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, toss squash, zucchini, arugula, chives, cheese, and capers with lemon dressing.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw