If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I first ate a tart similar to this in Provence, but it could have come from anywhere in the world fresh figs are abundant. It's taken its place (right up there with Peach Cobbler) as one of our favorite summer treats. It's best at room temperature, so do make it ahead of time. - ChefJune
Serves 6 to 10
- 1 recipe Sweet Pastry (Use your favorite, or buy a prepared crust)
- 1/3 cup seedless raspberry purée or preserves, thinned with 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar or Raspberry liqueur
- 18-24 fresh figs, depending on their size -- I prefer the Black Mission figs, but the green ones are also delicious (Allow 4 whole figs per serving for each tart.)
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line the tart shells with pie weights and bake completely. Cool.
- Rinse and dry fresh figs, and cut each one in half, lengthwise. Spread or brush a thin layer of the raspberry purée on each shell, then arrange in a single layer atop the raspberry purée, cut sides up. The fig halves should fill the tart shell without crowding. Sprinkle lightly with balsamic vinegar and powder thickly with sifted confectioners' sugar.
- Preheat broiler on highest setting. Place tart(s) on a rack about 2 inches below the flame of the preheated broiler for about 5 minutes, or just until the sugar has caramelized. DON'T BURN!!! Chill. Serve scattered with fresh raspberries and clouds of sweetened whipped cream.
- Teacher’s Tips: 1. Only fresh figs will work for this recipe. 2. The number of figs you’ll need will vary with their size, and whether you’re making one large or several smaller tarts. 3. When figs are ripe, they’re very delicate, so wash and dry them with care. Remove the stems before cutting them in half lengthwise.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Raspberries
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
Freeze It Right There
A fruity, frozen spin on a classic.
A bananas frozen daiquiri.
Community Picks: Lettuce-Free Salad
All you need for Memorial Day.
Cast your vote!
Mortar and pestle perfection.