If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Whenever I cook corn for my family, I cut off the tips, the better to fit the ears into my soup kettle. I always find myself nibbling the sweet kernels from those tips and wondering how else these little nubbins could be used. So when Amanda and Merrill announced the competition for best uncooked dish, I decided to try for a crunchy, chunky salad starring uncooked corn that would be colorful and satisfying. Here is the result. You could replace the shallots with some minced chives or scallions. This salad could replace cole slaw or potato salad as a side dish for a hefty sandwich. - creamtea —creamtea
Food52 Review: Creamtea's thoughtfully composed corn salad has none of the rough edges a raw salad often brings. The dressing, tangy with buttermilk and yogurt, envelops the crunchy corn, peppers and cucumbers in a silky cloak. We love the hit of herbs (dill and parsley) and the zip of onion and garlic in the dressing; the creamy crumbles of salty feta are a perfect counterpoint to the sweet corn and peppers. - A&M —The Editors
Serves 6 as a side dish
For the salad:
- 1 clove shallot, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 3 ears of fresh, uncooked corn, the kernels scraped from the cobs with a sharp knife (about 2 3/4 cup)
- 4 Persian cucumbers, quartered lengthwise and sliced crosswise into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 long red sweet pepper, seeded, ribs removed and diced
- 1 small handfull fresh dill (about 4 smallish sprigs), minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- crumbled Feta cheese, rinsed, as a garnish
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup plain European style thin yogurt, stirred
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons minced Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 1 small clove garlic, minced and mashed with a pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Salt the shallot slices in 1/2 t. salt and allow to sit about 20 minutes to draw out any harshness. Rinse well with water and pat dry with a paper towel. In a large bowl toss the corn kernels lightly to separate them, add the shallot and the remaining salad ingredients and toss again to combine.
- In a smaller bowl combine the buttermilk, vinegar, onion, yogurt, and garlic and whisk to combine. Add the oil in a slow stream, whisking, until amalgamated. Season with freshly ground pepper and salt to taste.
- Serve the salad slightly chilled, garnished with the feta cheese. Pass the dressing separately.
- Your Best Dish in the Raw Contest Winner!
The Best Vegan Cookbook Tips
Better "bacon," tofu's texture, and more
The best vegan cookbook tips.
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
It's time to travel.
Why you should be drinking tequila.
Off to market.