Author Notes: Frankieolives asked me about the moon salad I mentioned in a post of her beautiful sprout recipe. Here I have taken Mr. Sproutman's 7 oz. "Moon Salad" (available at Wholefoods) as a base, so I take no credit for his wonderful blend of clover, arugula, azuki, garbanzo and snow pea sprouts. You could recreate it from the list, if this is not available in your market. Added to the base, I have included julienned golden beets, carrots, red peppers, fresh herbs, and diced avocado. But the dressing is my own experiment taking basically avocado with garbanzos from the pod in an almond milk puree. You do not even need to soak fresh garbanzo beans at all, much less cook them. - Sagegreen
- 1 peeled and diced avocado, divided
- squeeze of lemon, Meyer preferred
- 3/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup fresh garbanzo beans out of the pods, see photo
- pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- handful of fresh herbs including parsley, basil, verbena, and cilantro
- 7 ounces Moon salad sprout mix (see ingredient list above)
- 1 small carrot, julienned
- 1/2 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 golden beet, peeled and julienned
- 1/2 fresh mango flesh, julienned
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the peeled avocado as soon as you dice it. In a blender add half the avocado, the milk, the garbanzo beans depodded, a little salt and half of the fresh herbs. Puree. Sample for thickness. Adjust by adding more avocado and beans to thicken or more milk to thin. Adjust salt, too.
- Plate the moon salad base of sprouts. Add the julienned vegetables plus mango, remaining diced avocado, and herbs. Spoon the dressing over the salad and serve right away.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw