If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is loosely based on a recipe a girlfriend found in the LA Times and sent to me; I've tweaked and played a bit with it, and come up with a version I like. I love the look of surprise on faces when they realize some of the red is tomato, while the rest is watermelon! Warning; it doesn't keep well, so make only what you expect to eat today. —Kayb
Serves 4 as a side
- 3 cups watermelon, diced in 1-inch cubes
- 2 large tomatos, diced and drained. Peel if you want.
- 4 ounces fresh Mozzarella, diced in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup loosely packed tarragon leaves, chopped
- 1 sweet onion, preferably Vidalia, but Walla Walla or other sweet will do, sliced in rings
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Blanch onion rings (cut into half-circles if it's a really large onion) in boiling water for one minute, then plunge into cold water to stop cooking. Set aside to drain.
- Set watermelon cubes aside in a colander to drain; ditto diced tomatos, while you dice the cheese and chop the tarragon.
- Toss all ingredients, drizzle with balsamic, toss again, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside at room temp for 30 minutes or more to allow flavors to combine.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw