If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: New artichokes are everywhere in Italy. You can cook them however you want it, they are always terrific.
But one of the best ways to eat artichokes is raw.
Try it and you'll wonder why you didn't think of it before! —Maria Teresa Jorge
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, green inside part removed
- 2 anchovies in salt, cleaned and desalted under running water
- 6 walnut kernels
- 4 young purple artichokes
- 1 cup parmesan shavings
- 1 handfull arugula
- 1 handfull baby spinach
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/2 cup grapes without seeds
- 2 + 1 lemons – juice
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Black pepper
- Dressing: Rinse the anchovy fillets, put in a small bowl and cover with the vinegar. Stir with a fork to dissolve anchovy. In a food processor, process the garlic clove, the anchovy mixture and the walnuts. Add a little Olive Oil and make into a paste. Once smooth, start to add Olive Oil a little at a time. Check if it needs any salt and add some freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Salad: Juice the 2 lemons and pour the juice in a bowl with cold water and ice cubes.
- Clean the artichokes: cut the foot, remove outer leaves, cut across the top to remove 2/3 of top of artichokes. Cut the artichoke in half and remove the fibre inside. Immediately put the artichokes in the water with lemon to prevent them from turning brown.
- Wash the celery, slice it thinly and set aside. Wash the grapes, cut in half and remove seeds. Set aside. Wash and spin dry the arugula and spinach.
- Cut the artichoke hearts very thinly on a mandolin and drizzle with lemon.
- To serve. Divide the cut artichokes hearts between 4 plates. Drizzle with Walnut Vinaigrette. Put some arugula and spinach mix on top, add the grapes and sprinkle with as much Parmesan shavings as you like. Drizzle the salad with some more vinaigrette and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Walnuts
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw