If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When you travel it’s interesting to see how each country focuses on food. I enjoy learning about food and the history behind it. I like to understand why each country cooks certain ingredients and others, totally different ones.
British food was never very glamorous in the past but their tea was and is the best in the world – a cup of tea in the most exquisite China, cucumber sandwiches, scones with cream and jam… Who can beat that? What about Eaton Mess, how can you beat such a simple and delicious combination.
Normally made with strawberries, I adapted the traditional for raspberries adding some lime zest which I think marries beautifully with raspberries.
I make this dessert quite frequently with my granddaughter but with children you have to move swiftly otherwise they lose interest, so I use almond meringues I keep at home. When I make Pastry Cream, I normally use the egg whites to make small meringues, which I will post later. So I use those meringues to make Eaton Mess or other desserts that need meringues. You might notice that the cream has very little sugar and that’s to counter balance the sweetness of the meringues.
—Maria Teresa Jorge
- 3 cups fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 8 small meringues
- Zest of half a Lime
- 4 teaspoons slivered and toasted almonds
- mint leaves for decoration.
- Toast the slivered almonds until golden brown.
- Wash and zest half a green lime.
- Whip the cream with the sugar until it forms hard peaks. Add the lime zest.
- Crumble the meringues with your hand to obtain both chunks for texture as well as a little fine dust.
- Lightly crush one cup of raspberries.
- In the bottom of a transparent glass bowl put 1 cup of raspberries. Add 1/3 of the meringue, then half the whipped cream. Add the crushed raspberries Repeat with 1/3 meringue, the other half of the cream, the remaining meringue and the other cup of raspberries on top.
- Decorate with the almonds and some mint leaves.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pub Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Raspberries
Make Fruit Caramel
A case for blending your plums
Blend your plums—seriously.
Burnt Toast: Episode 11
It's time to travel.
You need to make this Indian spice mix.
Off to market.