If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When you look at the picture of our family’s favorite pie, you can see how different, original and beautiful it looks, and most of all it is amazingly tasty.
The meringue is very tall and holds its shape to the last piece.
This pie is also perfect for any season because it is equally delicious when apples, pears, plums, peaches, figs or any other fruit and berries are used.
Our pie has an easy to make crust that doesn’t require chilling and rolling-out and it comes out every time puffed and golden brown.
I bake this pie at 325 degrees because my oven is pretty hot.
You can adjust the temperature according to your oven.
My sister Stella, who leaves in New York, baked this pie for The Independents Day Potluck and emailed her picture to me. - Kukla
- • 1 cup butter, room temperature
- • 1 cup sour cream
- • 5 extra large eggs, room temperature, separated
- • 3/4 cup granulated sugar, plus 1 cup superfine sugar, for egg whites
- • 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- • 1 teaspoon baking powder
- • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- • 1/4 teaspoon salt
- • Zest of 1 large lemon, plus 1 teaspoon juice for egg whites
- • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (divided)
- • 3 1/2 pounds fresh ripe but firm apricots, washed and cut in half
- • 1 1/2 pints fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda, salt and lemon zest; mix well. Cream butter and 3/4 cups sugar until light and fluffy; add egg yolks one at a time until fully incorporated.
- Stir in sour cream and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Slowly fold in flour mixture in three portions (dough should be very soft).
- Evenly spread the dough in a large glass baking dish (15, 5 -10, 5-2, 5-inches). Place on the middle rack of the oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes until pale golden.
- Meanwhile prepare apricots: wash and pat dry, half them, discard the pits and fill each half with 1 raspberry.
- Arrange the filled with raspberries apricots (cut side down) all over the prebaked crust. Place the remaining raspberries in-between rows of apricots.
- Return pie to the oven and bake for about 30 more minutes.
- In the bowl of stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat egg whites, salt and 1 teaspoon lemon juice until foamy. Slowly add the 1 cup of superfine sugar and beat on high speed until meringue is stiff and shiny. Add remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla and beat until combined.
- When the pie is ready, gently spread meringue on top, return to the oven and in about 8-10 minutes turn of the heat.
- Leave the pie in the oven for another 10 minutes; then transfer to a wire rack and cool to room temperature. To serve, cut in 12 or 16 diamond shape portions.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Raspberries
Recipe of the Day
Smoky and Spicy Paloma
Smoky and Spicy Paloma
Wine to go, without the box.
Go play outside!
Poems for your fridge.
Make your houseplants do double duty.