Author Notes: It took three versions of this to rise to my standards. The idea came from a recipe last summer in "Cooking Light" but Ina Garten's recipe for Pineapple Margaritas firmed up my idea. Kelsey,The Naptime Chef offers a recipe that calls for sieving the pureed watermelon.
I was good to go. Beware, these are potent and I made a spectacular cut to my right palm as I carved the grilled pork tenderloin. My friend, Jan, was non-plussed and wiped up the blood as I served. - Lizthechef
Serves 8, generously
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 fresh organic lime
- 6-8 cups cut and cubed seedless watermelon
- 2 cups white tequila
- 2 cups freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup Triple Sec
- 1 cup Cointreau
- small lime wedges and watermelon balls (optional)
- Pour the 1 tablespoon of sugar into a wide saucer or small plate. Rub the rims of 4 martini glasses with half a lime. Swirl them into the sugar to coat the glasses. Freeze the glasses.
- Using a food processor, puree the watermelon.
- Sieve the pureed watermelon. You need 2 cups of pureed watermelon.
- In a large pitcher, combine the tequila, lime juice, Triple Sec and Cointreau. Stir in the watermelon puree.
- Sir and chill for several hours.
- Shake in portions in a cocktail shaker half-loaded with ice.
- Pour into chilled glasses. Garnish, if you wish, with toothpicks loaded with small lime wedges and watermelon balls. Serve at once.