If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Last summer, close friend and fellow Food52er, Gigi26 and I made a wonderfully sweet tomato tart tatin found in the August 2010 Bon Appetit magazine. We raved about it as we devoured it all, amazed at how sweet and candy like the tomato became. For this contest I wanted to make a raspberry one but realized the raspberries would break up and turn to mush. So a compromise - a tomato tart with raspberries. This is sweet from the tomato and tart from the raspberries all at the same time. —inpatskitchen
Makes 1 9 x9 inch tart (approximately)
- 4 large plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cored and cut into 4 lengthwise pieces
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- 1 sheet puff pastry from a 17.3 ounce package
- Sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Roll the puff pastry sheet to about a 10 or 11 inch square, place on a parchment lined baking sheet and roll up the edges a bit. Dock the pastry with a fork and bake for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Spread the softened butter in the bottom of a 9 or 10 inch heavy saute pan and sprinkle with the sugar.
- Place the tomatoes, rounded side down, and cook on medium heat for anywhere from 25 to 35 minutes until the tomatoes are simmering in an amber like syrup. While simmering, move the tomatoes around a bit now and then to prevent burning.
- Turn off the heat and gently stir in the raspberries and vanilla extract
- Spoon the mixture onto the partially baked puff pastry, trying to keep the tomatoes rounded side up.
- Bake at 425F for 15 to 20 minutes until pastry crust is golden. Serve warm or at room temperature with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Raspberries
You Pinned, We Listened
This Month's Top 10 Pinterest Recipes
This month's most pinned recipes.
Food blog links we love.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
The best camping foods.
Savor the season.