If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have fallen in love with buttermilk cake...it's so easy and so good. I love a recipe that takes modifications well. - Katey501 —Katey501
Food52 Review: The great thing about Katey501's recipe is its versatility. This light and fluffy cake is only slightly sweet which would make it great for breakfast or served with ice cream or whipped cream for an elegant dessert. You could also swap out the raspberries with whatever fruit you have on hand easily. My cooking time did vary slightly so I'd suggest you leave yourself at least an hour for this cake. On the plus side it is one of the easiest cake recipes I have ever tried. If you consider yourself a cook and not a baker give this recipe a go. Happy baking! - singing_baker —singing_baker
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour 8-inch square cake pan.
- In bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a second bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla to butter and sugar and beat in. Add eggs one at a time and beat.
- Add buttermilk to butter, sugar and eggs. Beat on low speed until all ingredients mixed together.
- Add flour mixture to buttermilk mix in phases until all is incorporated.
- Add raspberries, adding slowly and folding gently into batter so berries don't completely break down.
- Pour batter into cake pan and spread evenly.
- Drop cake pan on counter a few times to release air bubbles in batter.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
This Week's Best #F52Farmstands
Cheese peppers, grapes, and more
This week's best #F52farmstands.
Get baking this Labor Day.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Storage made crystal clear.