If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is really a variation on tiramisu, using layers of coffee soaked sponge cake, zabaglione, raspberry puree, and shaved chocolate. I altered 1 recipies to put this one together. One from America's Test Kitchen of sponge cake--I changed almost all of their quantities and made it more french like. I then did a basic raspberry puree and a take on a zabaglione from Gale Gand--only I cooked the egg yolks and used much less egg and marscapone. —muffinsauce
- 2.5 quarts Raspberries
- .5 cups water
- 1/3 cup superfine sugar
- Combine raspberries, water and sugar in saucepan on medium heat, occasionally stiring. Heat till just bubbling, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and puree in blender. Pour through seive to remove seeds and cool at room temperature about and hour.
Sponge Cakes and Zabaglione Cream
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped and bean reserved
- 4 egg whites, room temp
- 4 egg yolks, room temp
- 1 pinch salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 shots strong espresso
- 2 teaspoons superfine sugar
- 3 tablespoons godiva liquor
- zabaglione ingredients listed below
- 4 egg yolks
- 8 ounces marscapone, room temp
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons black strap rum
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons shaved bittersweet chocolate
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and set rack to middle position in oven. Grease and flour 2 9 inch round metal cake pans, line with parchment paper, and grease paper.
- Heat milk and butter in saucepan over low heat until butter melts. Remove from heat and add vanilla seeds and bean. Cover to infuse.
- Whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt till very soft peaks, about 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle 2 tsp of sugar over the whites and increase speed, whipping till shiny and forming soft peaks, about 2-3 minutes. In another bowl, whip the egg yolks 1 minute. Add the rest of the sugar 2/3 cup, till the mixture is thick, light yellow, and forms ribbons, about 3-5 minutes.
- Gently layer the egg yolk mix on top of the egg white mix and sift the cake flour over the top. Gently fold all together until just combined. Slowly pour the warm milk mixture into the egg mixture and continue to fold unti just combined.
- Scrape batter into the 2 pans, and tap to even out the tops. Bake until lightly browned and toothpicks inserted in the centers come out with just a few crumbs, 12-16 minutes. Right after coming out of oven, run knife along the edge of cakes and flip onto parchment lined plate, remove original parchment, and flip again to wire cooling rack, removing 2nd piece of parchment. Cool about 1-2 hours, then place bottom layer in large bowl or container.
- Brew 2 shots of espresso and combine with 2 tsp sugar while still hot. Add godiva liquor and pour over bottom layer of sponge cake. Take 2nd sponge cake and drizzle over it 1/2 cup of raspberry puree. Let sit.
- Beat 4 egg yolks in a heat proof bowl until forthy. Add 1/2 cup sugar and whip. Add black strap rum and mix till combined. Place over simmering pot and whip just till it begins to bubble, and is thick and full. Remove from heat and add to marscapone. Whip till smooth.
- Whip 3 egg whites with pinch of salt till frothy. Sprinkle 2 tsp sugar over and continue whiping till glossy and soft peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture.
- Whip in another bowl 1 cup heavy whipping cream with sugar about 3-4 minutes. Fold into egg white/yolk mixture. Separate into 2 equal parts, two bowls.
- Take one bowl of egg white/yolk/cream and mix in an equal part of raspberry puree, or less to individual taste. Take other bowl of mix and fold in 5 tbps of shaved bittersweet chocolate. Let sit 30 minutes. Layer chocolate egg white/yolk/cream mixture over bottom sponge layer(one with coffee mix over). Place raspberry puree sponge cake over and layer with raspberry egg/cream mix. Decorate with fresh raspberries.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Raspberries
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.