Author Notes: Watermelon was an exotic fruit in Denmark when I grew up in the 60'es.
A coworker and I talked about that the other day, and he mentioned a strip in the weekly Donald Duck magazine that had fascinated him:
Huey, Dewey, and Louie getting dressed in raincoats to share a watermelon.
In honor of that image, I created this cocktail.
- 1/2 watermelon
- 4 ounces maple sirup
- 2 ounces lime juice freshly squeezed
Huey, Dewey, and Louie
- 3 ounces Absolute vanilla vodka
- 1,5 ounce Campari
- 1 ounce grapefruit juice freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon cane sugar
- 3 sprigs fresh lavender
- 4 ounces Watermelon cordial
- First make the cordial by cutting half a watermelon in chunks - no skin - and liquidize it with your blender. Strain and mix with maple syrup and lime juice.
- In the bottom of a tall glass put the flowers from two lavender sprigs, the sugar and the grapefruit juice. Muddle.
- Add crushed ice to glass and then the vodka and the Campari. Stir well.
- Top cocktail with the watermelon juice. Garnish with chunk of grapefruit and lavender sprig.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Poolside Cocktail